Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Review

Carrying on with the face-themed posts, I will review my Nars' Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in St. Moritz.

Nars products are easily available in Hong Kong but like everything else in this city, the price was marked up a lot from its US price.  I bought this for 450HKD (it is only $42 in the US).  Even with sales tax in mind, it was a whole 100HKD more than it would have been in the US!  However, I bought it anyway because I had no choice. 



The 30ml of product comes in a  sleek and black (typical of Nars) tube.  It is made of smooth plastic without the rubberized texture that is usually associated with the brand.  The tube looks small compared to the other tinted moisturizers out there such as Laura Mercier, but it still contains the same volume of product. 

Nars' product overview:
"Your skin – almost bare, but better. This advanced, oil-free formula provides a translucent veil of color while helping to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and dark spots in just four weeks. Infused with lush, naturally derived botanicals and ingredients to immediately helps thirsty skin feel hydrated. Kopara from French Polynesia and mineral rich seawater revive and re-mineralize skin for a softer, smoother, and brighter natural glow. Skin is transported."



I agree that this tinted moisturizer is lightweight and does not provide a heavy coverage.  In fact, the coverage is quite light but build-able.  I like to add an extra layer on places where I want to blur out more imperfections.  The oil-free formula means that it is OK to use on oilier skin-types but its moisturizing qualities also helps with dry skin.  On the other hand, I do not think I have noticed any reduction in my hyperpigmentation. 


For me, it is just the right consistency: smooth and blend-able.  I usually like to apply it after my skincare routine with clean fingers and occasionally, I buff over it with a powder brush to make sure it is all even (although I never experience streaking with it).  I end up with a radiant, glowy look.  The dewiness comes at a price; I have combination skin and this product does not seem to last for too long on my skin and disappears throughout the day.  I would suggest people with somewhat oily skin to powder it if they want it to last the whole day. 



Nars claims that the product has no synthetic fragrances but there is still a slight scent.  It is fresh, clean and a bit "sunscreen" smelling.  the scent is somewhat lemony.  Although it is not unpleasant, I can imagine some picky noses disliking it. 

On me, the colour St. Moritz only works for part of the year because it is too dark for me in the winter months.  Although it has been sitting on my shelf for the last couple of weeks, I will sure be bringing it out again when I get my tan back on this summer!




Speaking of using it in the summer, it is almost the perfect base for those sunny days because of its SPF 30 which is quite high for a cosmetic product.  However, this also brings about the problem of flash-back in photography.  Although the skin may look good in person, this tinted moisturizer does not photograph as well due to the extreme flashback. 

Overall, I think it is a good product if you are looking for a new high-end tinted moisturizer, especially one that provides a dewy finish.  Just be warned that it does not photograph well and oily-skinned people should powder if you want it to last for long periods of time. 

xx, C